A division 5 asbestos audit is the visual inspection of accessible areas, rooms and surfaces throughout the building. As part of the audit, non-destructive samples are taken of any material suspected of containing asbestos. Following the completion of the audit, an asbestos register is compiled and provided to workplace management, as well as any contractors engaged to carry out work at your workplace. Contact Asbestosafe for further information or call (03) 9973 4364.
Due to the fatal nature of exposure to asbestos, Work Health & Safety legislation requires a person who manages or controls a workplace to identify all asbestos present in the workplace and to maintain an up to date register, available to staff and contractors when required.This register should be reviewed at least every 5 years after the removal of the asbestos. Additionally, a register review should be performed if the condition of the asbestos containing material changes or if previously unidentified materials are discovered.
Asbestos containing materials can be found within the built structure or plant and equipment manufactured up until 2003, when the national asbestos ban came into effect in Australia. A division 5 asbestos audit is the first step in identifying asbestos in the workplace and managing the risks associated with asbestos found. In addition to this, by carrying out a division 5 asbestos audit you are ensuring that you are compliant with current workplace health and safety regulations.
- A site inspection and the identification, as far as practicable, of the type, location, future potential risk of disturbance based on condition & asbestos content;
- The compilation of an asbestos register;
- A qualitative assessment of the risk presented by the identified asbestos containing materials;
- Approximate quantity & friability of asbestos containing materials;
- If necessary, provision of recommendations to assist in minimising the asbestos exposure risk; and
- The provision of information to assist in complying with the relevant legislative requirements.
Prior to any demolition or refurbishment works, the asbestos register must be reviewed and if necessary revised in accordance with Part 4.4 Division 6, of the Victorian Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2017.